Charlotte-Area Veterans Smoke Alarm Installation Rally (Military-Veteran community partners - Carolinas HealthCare System, Novant Health, Bank of America, American Airlines, Team Rubicon, Team Red White & Blue, Covenant Presbyterian Church, Charlotte Bridge Home and the American Red Cross)
Over the past year, our city has faced great challenges. Many of these have taken shape in protests, violence, and a lack of connection - people knowing, understanding, and appreciating the views and plight of others. As a community, we must be open, honest, and move to have a conversation about race, poverty, education, opportunity. While reflection and discussion are important components of healing and progress, it is time for action. It is time to mobilize. Charlotte needs our veterans to stand up, take charge and once again lead through service to our community.
WHAT: We, Charlotte-area veterans and partners, will be servant leaders, allowing our actions to spur conversations and bridge the gaps in our community.
WHEN: May 13, 2017 1100-1700
WHERE: Faith community partner inside the "Crescent" (TBD)
HOW: We have partnered with the American Red Cross to provide teams that will install smoke detectors in "at risk" housing in Charlotte. During this mission, we will be directly serving our community while also having a platform to learn and explore what makes us Americans, what makes us Charlotteans, what makes us citizens.
WHY: If not us, whom? If not now, when?
ACT: Now is the time to step back into that breach. Mobilize your friends and community to join the team.
We will work with the teams to select neighborhoods that are commonly seen to have higher fire risk. Team composition:
- Installer – checks existing detectors, and installs new ones when needed
- Educator – educates the home owners on home fire preparedness and safety
- Scribe – Fills in a form documenting the installation for future reference
- Communications/Leader - handles communications with command, leads team
- Canvassers (2) – Goes ahead of the install team, knocking on doors and asking if the owners want smoke detectors installed
Training: Each participant must attend one of the four training sessions:
- Saturday, 6 May – 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm (American Red Cross office, 2425 Park Road, Charlotte)
- Monday, 8 May – 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm (American Red Cross office, 2425 Park Road, Charlotte)
- Thursday, 11 May – 10:00 am to 11:00 am (American Red Cross office, 2425 Park Road, Charlotte)
- Saturday, 13 May – 10:00 am to 11:00 am (onsite of event "command" location)
Schedule for the Day of the Event
- 10:00 am – Training begins for all who were unable to attend any of the prior training sessions.
- 11:00 am – Lunch begins
- 12:00 pm – Team assignments and neighborhood assignments are distributed
- 12:30 pm – Teams depart for their assigned neighborhoods
- 4:00 pm – Teams report back to the HQ location to return unused smoke detectors and other equipment and turn in their installation forms.
- 5:00 pm - After Action Reporting, close, post-event social
American Red Cross training videos:
Canvassing and Home Safety Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENdOZj5qkMM&list=UUDR8Lj5ScB60DIlFJuxKzkQ
Smoke Alarm Installer Training Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2qZCMdCqyc&list=UUDR8Lj5ScB60DIlFJuxKzkQ
Disaster Safety Educator Training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l5bVpNbuVo&feature=youtu.be
ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST BE AT LEAST 16 YEARS OF AGE.
FYSA - The Marine Corps Coordinating Council of Greater Charlotte (Carolina Marines) is allowing our group to host this event sign-up through their account. Carolina Marines is not associated with this project at this time.